Top 10 places to celebrate the New Year in Bath
The year has been an incredible one with London 2012 and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee all being celebrated across Bath.
And there’s a host of activities planned to mark the end of the year and welcome in 2013 with special New Year deals, packages and events organised by the city’s hotels, restaurants and nightclubs.
Plus shoppers will be gearing up to grab a bargain in the post-Christmas sales with Bath often seeing people camping out in order to be the first in the queue to snap up a cut-price deal.
Andrew Cooper, Bath Business Improvement District Manager, says the city is the ideal place to spend the New Year.
Dyson DC50i - Bagless upright vacuum cleaner - BALL Technology -...View details
Thisi is Dyson's smallest upright vacuum cleaner with the performance of a full size upright machine. The DC50i has Dyson's most advanced cleaner head technology and 2 Tier RadialTM cyclones.
Terms: LIMITED STOCK OFFER. FREE delivery to most UK postcodes - Next working day dispatch.
Contact: 01664 491439
Valid until: Monday, May 27 2013
He said: “Bath has a wonderful array of shops ideal for all those January sales bargain hunters. Bath is an ideal place to wander, enjoying the Georgian architecture or to have a spa and relax after Christmas.
“With car parks open daily and a Park and Ride service open seven days a week, except on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, Bath is the ideal place to spend New Year.”
We’ve picked out 10 highlights of events taking place in the city to see out the old and welcome in the new.
1. New Year’s Eve Ball – a black tie event featuring live music from Reflections plus a special ABBA cabaret, casino and disco is lined up for the Assembly Rooms on December 31. There’s a reception and three course dinner but dining and non-dining tickets are available. Carriages 1.30am. Tickets £95 for diners and £65 for non-diners and if you want to splash out and not worry about driving there’s an accommodation package too from £264 which includes two nights’ accommodation, Champagne breakfast on New Year’s Day and dinner that evening plus transport provided to and from the hotel to the ball.
Ball organisers: Fab! 8 Claverton Buildings, Widcombe, Bath, BA2 4LD T: 01225 436590
Assembly Rooms, Bennett Street, Bath, BA1 2QH T: 01225 477173
2. Magical break – The Bath Priory Hotel has put together a special package for the end of 2012, beginning of 2013 which includes a black-tie gala dinner with dancing and fireworks. For those wanting to celebrate can start on December 30 with full afternoon tea and a Champagne and canapé reception before a four course dinner. Spend New Year’s Eve at leisure before enjoying another Champagne and canapé reception followed by a gala dinner with five course menu. The event is also open to non-resident guests. Welcome in the New Year with a glass of Champagne and fireworks. New Year’s Day there’s brunch, wine tasting and a four course dinner before you depart on January 2. Prices for the break start at £965 per person. The gala dinner for non-residents is £240 per person.
The Bath Priory Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, Weston Road, Bath, BA1 2XT T: 01225 331922
3. The day after the night before – the New Year Viennese Spectacular is in its 21st year and takes place on New Year’s Day at The Forum . The renowned London Gala Orchestra with conductor David McCallum will be joined by soprano Pamela Hay and tenor Andrew Wickes for the programme featuring waltzes, polkas and songs. Tickets start at £12.50 and are available from Bath Box Office.
The Forum , 1a Forum Buildings, Bath, BA1 1UG T: 01225 443114
Bath Box Office, Bath Visitor Information Centre, Abbey Churchyard, Bath, BA1 1LY T: 01225 463362.
4. New Year celebration – a six course dinner, Champagne and canapés reception, live music and dancing with a glass of bubbly at midnight plus overnight accommodation is on offer for the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel’s New Year celebration. Price is from £249 per person.
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, Sydney Road, Bath, BA2 6NS T: 0844 8799106.
5. Classical Gala – The Theatre Royal Bath is holding its annual New Year’s Eve Gala with the Bath Philharmonia. Conducted by Jason Thornton with violinist Tamsin Waley-Cohen, mezzo-soprano Kate Symonds-Joy and tenor Daniel Joy. It sees out the oldyear and welcomes the new with a Last Night of the Proms style finale. There are concert only prices starting at £28 or concert and dinner starting at £116.50. Concert at 10pm with reception/dinner from 6.30pm.
Theatre Royal Bath, Sawclose, Bath, BA1 1ET T: 01225 448815 Box Office 01225 448844
6. Motorcity Gold – New Year’s Eve with Soul is promised at Komedia in Bath. The Junk Soul Brothers will be playing a mix of Motown, Soul, Funk, Disco and Rock n Roll on December 31. Advance tickets cost £12.
Komedia Bath, 22-23 Westgate Street, Bath, BA1 1EP T: Box Office 0845 293 8480
7. The name is Bond! – Bond is the theme for the Blue Rooms New Year’s Eve Party with fun-seekers urged to get their tickets online to save money and get exclusive access to a table in the Monte Carlo Casino Room. 2012 marked 50 years of Bond with a host of celebrations nationwide and saw the release of the latest Bond film, Skyfall., Visit www.bluerooms.net for more information and to buy tickets.
Blue Rooms Bath, York Buildings, Bath, BA1 2EB T: 01225 470040
8. House party? Check in at Bath’s famous Royal Crescent Hotel for a New Year Break with its New Year House Party package. Champagne, black-tie dinner plus music and then brunch on New Year’s Day. Prices start at £465 per person for adults. Non-residents can join in the New Year celebration with prices £225 per person but places are limited so booking is essential.
The Royal Crescent Hotel, 16 Royal Crescent, Bath, BA1 2LS T: 01225 823333
9. Historic celebration – see in the New Year at Bath’s historic Pump Room with a sparkling package on New Year’s Eve. It includes cocktail reception around the torch-lit Roman Bath, a four-course dinner with half a bottle of wine. Entertainment in the Pump Room throughout dinner from the Kim Cypher Quartet, Spa fountain cheese and fruit buffet, fun casino and Champagne bar and discos. Tickets range from £95 Reception Hall, £90 Kingston Room, £100 Terrace and £120 Pump Room. To book call 01225 477786
The Roman Baths, Stall Street, Bath, BA1 1LZ T: 01225 477785
10. Eight courses! – The Royal Hotel, built by Brunel, is marking New Year’s Eve with an eight course gala dinner – black tie optional – and dancing until late. Cost is £70 per person including Champagne at midnight.
The Royal Hotel, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JP T: 01225 463134